Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tiger Temple Trip


On Saturday GVI's volunteers had the opportunity to visit and explore the Tiger Temple Cave, a Buddhist temple and forest monastery found just outside of Krabi. There is the opportunity to make the intense climb up 1,237 steep steps to the Buddha image at the top of a karst cliff with amazing views. There is also a much more relaxed walk below, through the jungle filled with caves and giant 1,000 year old trees.

Here's a brief description from a 10 week TEFL expedition member, Erin:




Around step 300, I turned to Kim and said (wheezed), 'I don't think I've ever been this sweaty.' The look she gave me said, "980 left". About 400 steps further up, I was soaking wet, exhausted, and thoroughly embarrassed. Thais were just strolling down; they were barely even flushed. By the time I reached the top, I was more or less pulling myself up with the handrail. But the view and the breeze on top made it all worthwhile. With any luck, I'll be able to walk properly and painlessly again soon!





And it is worth it! Take a look at some of the pictures of the trip.







Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thighs will never be the same... :)I recall saying something along the lines of "Boat tao" to some Thais descending, and they laughed at me. They weren't even sweaty!

Some of my favorite pictures from Thailand are from the Tiger Temple trip!