Saturday, January 24, 2009

Teaching Children Project: Mim's Volunteer Story

The following is a volunteer story written by 2 week teaching children volunteer Karemie Williams from Australia (aka 'Mim'):



I have had the most amazing two weeks in Ao Luk. Although I was one of the first TAs and there have been some surprises, each day I have walked back to base with a smile on my face. The children I have worked with have been mainly kindergarten through 3rd grade. One teacher knows pretty good English and the others try their hardest. I have mainly worked on pronunciation of words and squeezing out some of the tricky sounds as well as putting these words into sentences. They repeat everything I say, even the instructions. They are so well behaved but also very excited. I have never sung a song so much as the hokey pokey and I have never had so much fun singing a song. Each age group plays along, from 4 year olds to 12 year olds. The GVI staff have been supportive as we muddle through the teething issues with scheduling (which is pretty much unheard of in Thailand!) The three TAs have been doing more teaching than assisting thus the need to bring along activities, games and songs each day. Base camp has been a blast – our group here is studious with all the right intentions to completing their TEFL qualification. Lucky for me they still have time for a beer and a chat after their evening classes. While we are all teaching different classes the experiences are very similar. Base camp's a home away from home, warm (except the water), welcoming with great food if you can handle a "little spice". This place is both spicy and sweet. The time has been great I was very sad to leave the beautiful children.

Thank you Mim for all your hard work! We'll miss you!


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: