Saturday, July 18, 2009

Louise's Volunteer Story



The following is a volunteer story written by 3 week teaching volunteer, Louise, from Australia. Louise taught at 5 schools in the Laem Sak sub district of Ao Luk, schools located in coastal areas, some of them in fishing communities.


' 'Sa wa dee ka!' I have just finished the Teaching Children in Thailand program, which I am absolutely devastated about as I have fallen in love with the place and I don't want to leave!
The program itself is just fabulous, you really become completely in touch with your surroundings - culture, customs, the language and not to mention the delicious food. It has truly been a life changing experience for me as it's not only teaching, it is living in a house of 10 people or more, living amongst the local community and listening to the surrounding wildlife as you fall asleep at night.
The actual teaching program itself is fantastic if you love working with children. I think it was after my first day at school I came back to base and said to everyone that I just may have had the best day of my life. The moment I stepped out of the car, I had children waving with the brightest and happiest faces. I don't think I had ever been told hello, good morning, and I love you that many times in one day. It really is an exciting, fun, at time challenging time you have in the classroom with them. They love it that you're their teacher and are sooo unbelievably eager to learn. Being in a wonderful, warm place surrounded by green palms and lovely beaches is an added bonus to the project itself.
To conclude, I always had set this goal to come be involved in a volunteer teaching project and I'm quite confident I will do it again. So come along and experience the fulfilling, life changing journey I have just done as you'll absolutely love it!'
-Louise Papantoniou

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: