Saturday, July 25, 2009

Jodie's Volunteer Story



Jodie Martin from the UK spent 4 weeks teaching children in the Laem Sak district of Ao Luk with GVI. She worked with 5 schools located in villages in the coastal sub district of Ao Luk. She thoroughly enjoyed her experience and came back to base each evening with a smiles. Here's Jodie's story:



I am three days away from completing my month with GVI in Ao Luk. I have been working in small village schools in the Ao Luk district. It was the first time GVI had been to these schools so the first week was very exiting for myself and the students. On my first day I taught a two-hour lesson and after lunch the teacher drove myself and another volunteer to the local beach. The children then took our hands, lead us deep into the valley and up to some caves. Boys climbed trees to pick us fruit and, the girls plaited our hair and sang and danced with us. Spending time with the children on our own in beautiful surroundings made me realize just how kind and generous they all are. It was an experience I will never forget.

Life on base was something that worried me before I arrived. Sharing a bedroom with 11 others, living out of a backpack and no hot water? How was I going to cope? I can honestly say that life on base is great. Everyone works hard to keep the camp clean and tidy and it really does feel like home. It's nice to get back from a hard day at school and just chill out with everyone and share stories. I have made friends from all over the world and have never laughed so much in my life. The last four weeks have flown by and as I am finishing my last classes it is satisfying to see how much the children have learnt in this short time. Coming to volunteer at GVI was the best decision I've made. Thank you to everyone who has made this experience one I will never forget.'



- Jodie Martin


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: