Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tiger Temple Side Trip

"Only 1000 steps to go….

We started the stair climb at 9:00am. On the 237th step I thought to myself; “ok, only 1000 steps to go”. The more stairs we climbed, the more my legs felt the burn but I was constantly reminded by the surrounding scene that the view from the top will be amazing.

About 45mins later, we were relieved to take the 1237thstep and reach the very top. My camera came out its bag and I tried to capture the view. This was a reminder that the best views cannot be caught on camera. The landscape was too vast and distant to re-create, so the best way was to enjoy the moment through my own eyes. Our trip leader explained some Buddhist customs and ways in which they pray to Buddha.

The temple and huge Buddha statue provided a strong spiritual atmosphere and I was blown away by the vast landscape over looking Krabi. We were early, so there were not many people around which made the experience more enjoyable. On the way down, a lot of tourists were on the way up. We were also joined by a group of monkeys walking next to our feet and sliding down the railings like they were surfing. We then reached ground level just as the heat was getting intense and we slowly strolled around the area before leaving."

Blog written by Tim Maitland


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: