Thursday, March 19, 2009

Volunteer Story


The following was written by Simone Villagran, a 5 week TEFL EM from Canada:

My Experience at GVI

My time here has been the most challenging thing I've ever had to do. And at the same time, it has been one of the biggest personal growth and eye-opening experiences of my life - a truly memorable time. I have pushed my capabilities to the maximum, and it has been worth every minute of it. I feel blessed to have been able to see the 'real' Thailand, and all the amazing and genuinely grateful people within the Ao Luk community. Seeing their eagerness to learn English, and general happiness to be there, makes every little difficult moment seem so insignificant compared to the big picture, which is providing these lovely people opportunities that they may have never thought possible. Although it is hard work, I wouldn't take it back for anything in the world. Doing this expedition has made me realize that I get great joy out of teaching English, and I can't wait until I get the opportunity to use my TEFL certificate as a gateway to many more life changing, and memorable experiences.

Thank you GVI and good luck to any future EMs!

Simone Villagran

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: