Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Volunteer Story

Another expedition has come to an end and as we say goodbye to our friends we are already preparing to welcome 10 more!

Here's a reflection written by Expedition Member Anjali Lai:



“So how was Thailand?” – The generic question that inevitably will bombard you when you return home after one term at GVI. It seems simple and straight forward, but in reality I find that I struggle for the right words with which to respond. As cliché as it may sound one can hardly find a way to answer that question because no words can describe the range and depth of new experiences that I’ve undergone her here at GVI in Thailand. How can I convey the feeling of reward and accomplishment that occurs after I plan and execute my own lessons? Or that of kinship that I formed with both my students and other expedition members? These experiences have become more than just short story material that I can share to my friends at home; instead, they have become engrained in my memory and personality, and will continue to influence my perspective on the world in the future.

For most people, travel is a way to see famous tourist sites or to experience the exotic, but during this trip to Thailand, the elements that at first seemed so foreign became familiar aspects of everyday life. Life just wouldn’t be quite the same if I didn’t make nightly trips to the local pancake man for an “egg, banana, chocolate” Thai roti as dessert, or stop to have conversations with the restaurant owners every time we passed by their little places. And of course, connections with students go far beyond what is developed in the classroom; students become your close friends and teach you as much about Thailand as you teach them about the English language whether they travel with you and put you up in Phuket, or simply spend time shopping with you at the North Market.

Essentially, it is the simplicity of life here, and the bonds of friendship that you make with everyone that truly bring the most happiness and satisfaction. Before you know it, you’re genuinely attached to the locals of the village, and feel like you’re leaving your own home when you finally leave Thailand.
Along with the excellent teaching practice and TEFL training, I have gained the invaluable experience of making strong connections with the locals of Ao Luk, Thailand and have brought something useful into the community that I fell in love with. If anything, it just shows the human potential for identifying similarities and creating bonds across cultures, and proves that maybe the world isn’t so big after all."
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself!