Friday, September 24, 2010

Jenny's Teaching Internship in Ko Klang




Jenny has just finished her 6 month internship with GVI in Krabi, Thailand. She spent her first 3 months getting her 100 hour TEFL certificate and gaining lots of teaching experience with GVI in Ao Luk, Thailand. For her second 3 months, Jenny received a teaching placement on the small Muslim island of Ko Klang, off the coast of Krabi town. Jenny lived at Su's home stay and taught English classes at a local primary school. Read below for what Jenny has to say about the last 6 months.



I applied with GVI because out of all the organisations, their teaching package was the best. For the money it was one of the cheapest, but as well as the 100 hour TEFL it also had the chance to complete a home stay- that is what I wanted the most, to be completely emerged with the Thai culture. GVI also had a really great website that was far more informative on its purpose and projects then a lot of other organisations. Their aim to help Community Based Tourism in Thailand also helped with my decision.


I found it was really good. The TEFL training was amazing. I felt I was trained really well and we had to teach only after the 2nd day of training- throwing us right into it was the best idea to help with confidence! I loved teaching and after the first term I had my own class which I thoroughly enjoyed. The home stay was great- I loved the school so much. They were really welcoming. I quickly made friends on the island of Ko Klang where by home stay was based which made my stay really comfortable. I certainly learnt a lot about Thai people and how they lived which was what I wanted from my time here.


I got so much out of this experience! It opened my eyes to teaching, from gaining so much more confidence in standing in front of people to my creative skills in designing resources and lesson plans. I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed the teaching and how easy it came to me. I've also made so many friendships, many which will last a lifetime. I gained a better understanding of Thailand, the people, how they work, live and think. I got to travel on weekends and on my 3 weeks off which allowed me to discover more of Thailand.


Now I'm heading back home to look for a job- I may even look into doing a PGCE next year, I loved teaching that much!



Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: