Sunday, May 17, 2009

Morag's Volunteer Story

Morag Burnie is spending 10 weeks as a volunteer with GVI in Thailand. She has just completed her TEFL qualification and will go on to teach her own class in the local community. Read about her thoughts on the GVI TEFL:

"I have really enjoyed the GVI TEFL course in Thailand. It’s been challenging at times, but also a lot of fun. I can’t believe how fast it’s gone by!

The TEFL course itself is fairly intense, especially in the first week or two, but as I progressed through it everything began to click and I could see how the theory applied in the classroom. It was a bit nerve-wracking being thrown in the deep end and teaching on day three, but it was a lot of fun! The students were so enthusiastic and keen to learn and I’ve loved teaching them. It’s been challenging and I’ve definitely been taken out of my comfort zone but I feel like I’ve learned a lot about myself.

Ao Luk is a really nice place to live, as I feel like I’ve experienced a bit a ‘real life’ in Thailand. The people here are so friendly and welcoming! There are lots of nice places to try the local foods. It’s also really easy to get to the beautiful islands and beaches around the area on the weekend. The side trips have also been really fun – especially the kayaking trip to Bor Thor and being chased by monkeys at the Tiger Temple.

Overall, the experience has been challenging but lots of fun. I’ve made some really good friends and had some experiences I’ll never forget. "

by Morag Burnie
Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: