Monday, May 11, 2009

James' Volunteer Story

The following was written by James, a volunteer that recently completed his 100 hour TEFL with GVI in Thailand. James is signed up for GVI's Asian Explorer project (http://www.gvi.co.uk/projects/Asia/Thailand/asian-explorer/home). After completing a TEFL qualification in Ao Luk Thailand, Jame's will go on to other teaching projects in India and Nepal. What an adventure. Below is just the beginning of Jame's adventure in Asia.

"The phrase that sums up my time with GVI in Thailand is, “the more you put in, the more you get out.” If you put the work and time in, you take so much from taking the TEFL course, teaching and of course experiencing beautiful Thailand, and all that it has to offer!

Admittedly, I was surprised by the amount of time I spent working on lessons, and by the effort I put in. the course really challenges you to consider what will (and won’t) work in the classroom. However, the hours I spent working out of the classroom benefited me massively, when the time came to teach a class. The GVI staff was so friendly and supportive – they couldn’t have made it any easier for me and my fellow volunteers!

Teaching itself is an amazing experience, and I’d strongly recommend it to anyone. Being able to transfer all the hard work you put into preparation in to the classroom is such a great feeling, and personally, gave me a real buzz!

The students are absolutely brilliant! They’re so appreciative, and show a fantastic willingness to learn which makes all the hard work worthwhile. Living in Ao Luk, was in itself, a great opportunity. It’s been a real privilege to live in ‘real Thailand’ – without the gimmicks, the tourists and cable TV! Instead, I had the chance to live in a really stunning area, and lived in a community of wonderfully warm and friendly locals. Saying this, it was also great to see the ‘other’ side of Thailand too, visiting Railay Bay and Koh Phi Phi, which were both great fun!

My time spent with GVI in Thailand has been one of the best experiences of my life. I’ve had the chance to get real teaching experience, met some great people and lived in a beautiful area. It’s an opportunity that I’m thrilled I took!"



by James Willson






Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comments:

English teacher said...

I bet living in the real Thailand has something to do with the enthusiasm of your students which also makes the teaching experience much more rewarding.