Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New year, new volunteer(s)! Arriving in Ao Luk




The day that I finally arrive on the project in Ao Luk had been looming for some time now. I was completely beside myself with excitement as I boarded the plane. After a horror of a journey, an empty stomach and minimal sleep I was greeted, in typical GVI fashion, with enthusiasm and warmth.

I was anxious to meet the rest of the interns, volunteers and staff and when I finally did I realised that, as to be expected, they are all lovely. Slightly mad, with excitement over health and safety briefings, hilariously bad attempts at an English/Aussie accent, a very competitive and random ‘English pub styled’ quiz and hard-core aerobics lessons under the heat of the Thai sun. But lovely nonetheless!

Having already been a volunteer for GVI in South Africa and India, I had an extra insight into how it all works and the overall passion that is felt throughout each project. All of this only added to the enthusiasm that I felt and how eager I am to start working. I have a feeling that this is going to be a very unique and eventful time and I could not be more thrilled about it. So bring on the next 6 months and all it has in store…

Liv Walker, Teaching English Intern for 6 months in GVI in Ao Luk, Krabi

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: