Monday, April 11, 2011

Intern Case Study - Kate: Why do I teach?

Kate began her 12 month Teaching Internship in Ao Luk, Thailand in October 2010. After 10 weeks of TEFL training and teaching her own intermediate conversation class in the Ao Luk community Kate received her teaching placement teaching English to Burmese refugees living in Chiang Mai as part of preparation for a new GVI project offering support for a number of Burmese NGOs. Here's what Kate has to say about her experience so far:

Kate's Intermediate Conversation Class students in Ao Luk

"I have frequently been asked, “why do I teach and why am I teaching predominately Burmese people in Thailand”? I hope this provides some answers to those questions.

My career has leaned towards people’s development and training in one form or another for nearly 15 years. I love teaching, because I love being with people. I love the connection through conversation, smiles, laughter and gaining at least some understanding of another’s life. Teaching for me, means that every day I get to listen to people, talk with people and share a common interest in their growth and development. Teaching allows me to realize and work towards one of my core beliefs, that everyone has a right to education . The opportunity of education and the attainment of knowledge allows us to explore and hopefully one day reach our full potential. Education allows us to make informed and wise choices and it gives us a conscience. Education shapes the very way we view the world and how we treat people.

I believe that every person has a right to be educated, has a right to free will (choice) and the right to express their views and opinions. Education is the first important step for free will to be used judiciously and wisely.

I see time and again when teaching the expression of understanding that passes over a student’s face and reaches far into their consciousness. I am thrilled when I see the look of understanding appearing on a students face. I see the relief of grasping a new concept or a difficult phrase. The nerves of learning have passed and the mind has been opened to take, test and ride the learning journey.

Mistakes, there are a few – that’s how we learn, laughter there is much, smiles of encouragement and warmth, a connection of understanding that hopefully I can teach each student just a bit. I am blessed to learn more from the students than they will ever know. How fortunate I am to be on this journey with you! Thank you for allowing me to be your teacher.

There is a gentleness in the nature of the Burmese people I have met and teach. A warm acceptance, always a smile to brighten up my day. A generosity of spirit and a sense of humor that I have come to so appreciate. I am fortunate that I am where I am, doing what I am doing and I wouldn’t change a thing. I hope to continue teaching and working with the Burmese community for many years."

Written by Kate


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: