Thursday, August 30, 2012

Jess Jenny - My volunteering project


I started my volunteering project on the 1st June 2012, I was full of excitement and fear. This was the first time that I'd ever been away from home for more than 10 days, so the thought that I would be here in a foreign country for 3 months quickly started to dawn on me. I was kindly greeted at the airport and quickly made to feel at home and as part of a team. My stay here hasn't all been easy sailing, In the space of 6 weeks I was in hospital 4 times for my own careless behavior, whilst I endured my time in hospital, I had a major urge just to be home with my family but those thoughts were quickly banished as the team here at GVI were so caring and supportive, it felt like a sort of extended family, all of the health and safety precautions taking out correctly ensured that I made a 100% safe and quick recovery.


The people in Thailand have to be the most warm hearted, friendly and loyal people I have ever met. They make you feel so welcomed into their community and getting to know them is just an added bonus! My favourite part of my entire trip was being able to go to the NFE community center after school during the week, to teach the childrens class. It's great because the children really want to be there and have a willingness to learn, you form special bonds with each child and see them progress and blossom into each of they're personalities and see they're English improving vastly. I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment when I see them every week and they progress each and every week, it's so heart warming, it's probably one of my greatest achievements that I've accomplished being here.

Being here for such a long length of time meant that I was able to go to a vast number of schools throughout the Ao-Luk district. They all work so differently but each respect you for what you do and try their very best to accustom you to thrive and help their students.
Over all I would without a second thought recommend anybody to do this progamme, it provided me with heaps of experience and over all the best three months of my life, I thoroughly enjoyed every second!

Jess Jenny, Teaching Children Volunteer, Thailand

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: