Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Nicola Lawler is one of our 10week TEFL volunteers. After completing her TEFL with GVI in July Nicola stayed on to help with construction and then teach her own Level 5 class.


"After qualifying as a TEFL teacher I was told I was going to be teaching the level 5 students. This was quite daunting for me as my only experience was in teaching level 1s.

Planning for the level 5 class was a complete contrast to the level 1's. When teaching the lower levels you tend to use a lot of visual resources and speak in simple sentences. Teaching level 5 is much less visually orientated and focuses more on in depth conversation.

My level 5's like me to teach them about everyday life. I like to teach them subjects that are relevant to everyday conversation that may develop their understanding of current affairs, taboos and popular social topics.

I tend to plan my classes in two different formats. I sometimes give them a formal lesson on particular subjects like Food and Drink From Around the World, Drugs and Alcohol, Mental Health, Physical Health and The Earth and the Solar System. These lessons require a lot of research on my part. In this instance, students will tend to take in a lot of technical vocabulary.

The other kind of lesson I teach is where I pick out a few popular debate subjects such as human cloning and hunting and just get the students to discuss these subjects freely. Anytime a word comes up that they are unfamiliar with, I put it up and the board. In this instance, they get a chance to really push their conversation skills.

This class really enjoy games. Games adults can really enjoy such as Pictionary, Quiz's, 20 Questions and Who Wants to be a Millionaire?. It's a great way to test what they have learnt and get them revved up for the class ahead.

I really loved teaching my level 5's. At this level the personalities of the students really shine through and you get to have a bit of banter and a real laugh. They are a funny bunch and I have had such a good time teaching them."


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: