Friday, August 21, 2009

Laura's Volunteer Story

Here's what Laura, one of our four-week Teaching Children volunteers, had to say about her experience in Ao Luk:

 
A day in the life of a GVI volunteer in Thailand



 

Before arriving in Thailand my thoughts were filled with the anticipation of the unknown. I had never visited Thailand before but had many friends with lots of stories; however, these stories are more touristy than what you actually experience and come to appreciate about Ao Luk.

 

Ao Luk is very rural and very Thai. What you experience here is how these people really live and how hospitable they are to ensuring your experience is unforgettable. This is only enhanced when you teach in the local schools.

 

You start early morning with breakfast and get picked up by a teacher from the school. It’s a full day and you have to be very energetic. However, reliving my primary years is what made their learning and my reminiscing such fun. I would never do the ‘Hokey Cokey’ or ‘Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes’ songs seriously back home. But when the whole school is joining in, it is really rewarding.

 

The children love that you’re there and they literally hang on your every word. As well as teaching them I have learned a lot from them, such as playground games and songs they sing. I can also count to 100 and have learned basic etiquette, which the children and adults seem most impressed with.

 

Life on base is great. If want to be by yourself, you can be, but everyone is social and there are always plans to organize for when you have time off. You never feel alone being here and you are with a group of like-minded people ready to share with you.

 

I could never of imagined a better way to spend four weeks. My time is up but my memories will live on. 


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: